Welcome to Adam Tuffnell: Leadership in Practice
An engaging speaker, Adam combines his real life experiences on the open water with real life tragedies to immediately immerse your delegates into the importance behind successful leadership and teamwork in the workplace. By applying and sharing his four tenants of successful teamwork Adam is able to discuss what lessons we can all learn about team dynamics and how we can avert disasters in our personal and professional lives.
After Dinner Speaker
Leadership and survival are one and the same.
Without leadership you will not survive.
Few people will face life threatening multiple disasters in their lifetime. Fewer still have the expertise to dissect those disasters in order to understand how their leadership contributed to survival. As a professional round the world yachtsman and with his background in psychology, Adam is able to deliver just this. His four tenets of Teamwork, Leadership, Communication and Fun translate highly effectively from offshore to office and are designed to be applied in any business situation. Adam Tuffnell will show you how to find this balance...
Why You Need Adam...
A highly adaptable and engaging speaker, Adam works directly with you or your client to create a one of a kind, keynote, and motivational talk or as a presenter with a teamwork edge.
You can also work with Adams consultancy firm, OneFathom to create a one of a kind, in depth workshop for your team to help better develop the four tenants of a successful business. Here your team will work with trained professionals in getting to learn more about one another and how they can drive your business moving forward.
An engaging and challenging review which references both real life experience of disaster and famous tragedies in order to assess the role of critical failures and successes of leadership in the outcome of these situations.
Illustrating the importance of the four tenets through his own significant experience(s) and by reviewing well-known disasters with an insider’s expert eye, Adam discusses what lessons we can all learn about team dynamics and how we can avert disasters in our personal and professional lives.
• The power of effective delegation - empower your people, support them on their journey to success.
• To lead from within and as a team.
- Whether it is an aggressive pitch against competition, internal crisis, hurricane force winds, the same lessons apply.
• To take lessons from all areas of our lives to help aid us. Whether we are giving a pitch, going through internal conflict or facing hurricane force winds.
• Adam presents the key facets of leadership as tested and proven in extreme conditions including:
• The value of feelings and sharing them in a tensioned environment.
• How to lead under extreme pressure.
• The importance of applying conscious management of the core components for team leadership.
• How to have corporate transparency with employees and why its important in the ever changing business environment of today.
• Increasing situational awareness - be honest with ‘the troops’ each and everyone of your people count. With every pair of hands you get a free brain…
• Decide to succeed - there is no try to succeed.
- This presentation bridges the gap between offshore and the office to demonstrate how to:
• Challenge the 'norm' of observations and conclusions.
• Solve problems from within the team environment.
• Ensure the accountability of decision making processes.
• Manage team dynamics.
Whilst on the water, Adam creates a learning environment for business leaders, which illustrates that ‘experience is what you learn, just after you most needed it'.
Time on the water naturally creates unique situations, which invariably require unique solutions. Adam communicates how this adaptive thinking process can be applied in practice both professionally and personally.
• Adam is a round the world yachtsman who has circumnavigated the globe ‘the wrong-way’ against prevailing winds and tides.
• He was one of only 12 skippers selected by Clipper to train amateur round-the-world crews from scratch to race readiness.
• Principal of a successful sailing school.
• Personal development coach.
• Team building course leader.
• Skipper of numerous offshore and ocean racing teams most recently a crew of 12 in the Fastnet 2013.
• Worked extensively for Tall Ships Youth Trust skippering young people from underprivileged backgrounds.
• Presented at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst and HMS Sultan as part of armed forces officer leadership training course.
What Do Adam's Clients Think?
I just wanted to thank Adam for supporting our event yesterday. Adam’s presentation was just what we needed to kick-start our new programme and very well-received.Please pass on our sincere thanks to Adam – he certainly gave us food for thought, very far removed from day to day life in Higher Education!
Adam delivers a considered, focused presentation that challenges preconceptions on leadership and invites the audience to reflect upon their own styles and effectiveness in a compelling way. On the water, Adam creates a learning environment that helps teams develop collectively and to react as an effective group to overcome challenges that are very different from most people’s day-to-day experience.
Adam was extremely insightful into his experiences at sea and utilised this against core competencies for everyday life. His experiences had the whole audience on the edge of their seat with his many stories of his near death experiences and how he managed to get out of them. He demonstrates how important teamwork, fun, leadership and communication are in all circumstances. I would definitely recommend him.
Very professional an provided us all with a fantastic insight to how large corporations can make what seems small mistakes but by failing to take ownership and stand up to be heard can result in devastating consequences… the material was world class and Adam seamlessly connected it to the business we work in, which in turn helped everybody relate to the programme and understand key management traits.